Wykin Social Put Three Past Moira United To Lift Sunday Premier Cup

Rukanah Mogra
Wykin Social FC triumphed over Moira United with a 3-0 victory to lift the Sunday Premier Cup, the pinnacle of Sunday football in Leicestershire.

Moira United 0 - 3 Wykin Social FC

On a wet afternoon at Holmes Park, Moira United and Wykin Social FC went head-to-head for the pinnacle of Sunday football in Leicestershire, the Sunday Premier Cup. Wykin hit twice in the first half, leaving a mountain to climb for Moira, but the visitors ended any doubts late on with a third through Player of the Match Jake Brown and capped off an incredible cup run. 

Moira United had the better chances early on, the first coming after winger James Harrison took a wonderful cross-field ball down excellently inside the box and fired it across. 

The ball landed at the feet of Jack Henchcliffe, who displayed exquisite footwork before trying a shot on goal and after a couple of nervy defensive headers in the box, it was fired narrowly over the bar by Reece Hughes. 

Five minutes later, United were in again, with J. Harrison proving tricky on the right, before laying it off to midfielder Will Grant, who then found Jack Willars, his shot caught comfortably by Josh Cheshire in the Wykin goal. 

Despite the pressure, Wykin took the lead ten minutes in, after Tom Smith's dangerous ball into the box from the right-hand side was poked in past the keeper by striker Charlie Adcock. 

The visitors almost doubled their lead shortly after but were denied by an acrobatic save from Byron Musgrove following Archie Gallacher’s left-footed effort. 
Both keepers had their work cut out for them, but Cheshire might just have pipped his opposite number to produce the save of the match. 

Action from the first half

Moira United won a free-kick on the edge of the box, and centre-back Lucas Harrison stepped up to take it. He curled a gorgeous left-footed effort and began to wheel away in celebration before Cheshire - at full stretch - got both hands to it, which received high praise from goalkeeping coach Cameron. 

Midway through the half, Wykin were awarded a penalty after Jake Brown’s cross was blocked by the outstretched arm of L. Harrison. Nathan Astill - cool as you like - made no mistake and slotted it into the bottom corner, sending the keeper the wrong way. 

Wykin ended the half strong, with Musgrove preventing Jess Adcock from putting his name on the scoresheet whilst keeping his side’s comeback hopes alive.

At half-time, there was a buzz amongst the crowd and a loud noise emanating from the travelling Wykin fans, also known as the ‘Kinners’. 
The scene set for a misty and muddy second half at Holmes Park. 

Barely a minute after the restart, Wykin had a golden opportunity to put the game out of reach after Gallacher clipped the ball forward into the path of J. Adcock, but he dragged his shot narrowly wide. 

Shortly after, C. Adcock found himself with just the back of the net to find after Brown’s pinpoint pass into the box, but Musgrove was quick off his line and smothered the shot. 

Action from the second half

Moira were determined to find a way back and thought they did in the 60th minute.

Sprinting down the right, Harrison cut inside and laid it off for substitute right-back Alex Morton, who knocked it into the box with a first-time cross and, after slipping through a sea of players, it was struck at the back post by Hughes and bundled over the line by skipper Callan Eames. 

However, the linesman’s flag cut the celebrations short and left the home side deflated - the mountain only growing in size. 

With chances going begging for both sides, United, now in search of a consolation late on, struck the crossbar through substitute Jack Cook.

Clearing it away, the ‘Kinners’ were now bearing down on goal in search of a third to seal the trophy - and got it.

Picking up the ball on the halfway line, Brown set his teammate on the charge, and despite a desperate challenge from Morton, the ball fell to Brown, who ended the move with a slotted finish.

Scenes of sheer passion and jubilation erupted from the bench and stands as the Wykin players piled onto the goalscorer - the trophy now well and truly theirs. 

The full-time whistle ended a thrilling and toughly fought contest.

A huge roar rang around Holmes Park as Wykin Social FC’s four-year wait to lift the Sunday Premier Cup was finally over - a chance to finally crack open the champagne. 

The Player of the Match award was presented to Wykin’s Jake Brown, who had an outstanding performance, and showcased his quality and creativity, as well as picking up a late goal. 

Player of the Match - Jake Brown
Match Officials: Ash Hastings (Assistant Referee), Dave Clarke (Referee), James Boyall-Love (Assistant Referee) and Steven Kings (Fourth Official)

Cale Green, manager of Wykin Social FC, was delighted with his side’s performance and was joined by goalkeeping coach Cameron in the post-match interview.

He said: “I’m over the moon and more proud than ever. This is the trophy we’ve been chasing since our final four years ago was postponed due to Covid.

“We were the better team. We defended well and we probably could have scored a few more.

“The aim is to win this every season - this is the pinnacle of Sunday football in Leicestershire.”

Goalkeeping coach Cameron also shared his delight at Josh Cheshire’s performance in the Wykin net as he picked up a clean sheet.

He said: “He [Cheshire] was unreal for me. 

"He controlled the game from the back and made a brilliant save [in the first half] from an outstanding free-kick.”

Attendance: 434

Written by Rukanah Morga

Photography by Alexandra Johnson 

Related Match Reports

View All